Sunday, September 7

You guys know I'm an atheist with a healthy curiousity for the numinous. Here's the throwaways from an article in Wired magazine, in which they ask prominent scientists about their beliefs in God. Before you skim over this post, read an excerpt:

I see religion in an evolutionary context, as something necessary for human happiness or existence. You need to get a large enough group of people together to bring down a woolly mammoth or a large buck. What's our religion today? Rock concerts. Of course there are spiritual phenomena, but I think you can examine them with science, with the limited tools of our senses and extensions of our senses.

The tendency to complexify in the universe is a consequence of thermodynamics. When you have an immense flow of energy, as you have with sunlight streaming into cold space, systems to dispel that energy will emerge and evolve spontaneously.

I'm from a Jewish family, but my personal religion is what I practiced today: I swam nude across a pond.


Fuck yeah, pondswimmer. There are billions of ways of looking at the world, and sometimes I think they're all perfectly correct.

FYI- There are lots of pro-religion views in the article too.

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?


View My Stats