Thursday, March 3

I was watching a documentary about Koko the Gorilla (a Christmas gift from Joy Rodd) while I was cooking this afternoon, and it got me thinking about Gorillas again. Koko the Gorilla is still alive and well, although her buddy Michael passed away a few years ago. A lot of the other great apes that were taught to sign decades ago are still alive, as well.

Some of the top Primatology nerds on the planet are now involved in a project called "ApeNet", which aims to allow Koko (gorilla), Chantek (orangutan), and Kanzi (Bonobo) to sign to each other from their separate enclosures through the miracle of the internet. Yeah, great idea, Eggheads. It's like they never saw the movie or something.

I'll be spending the rest of my Thursday evening learning the sign language for "Get your stinking paws off me, you damn dirty ape."

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?


View My Stats